Saturday, November 9, 2013

P.I.C.U.

P.I.C.U. (Pediatric Intensive Care Unit)

P is for Peace. We have had an over whelming sense of peace since we arrived in the Day of Surgery waiting lounge yesterday. I am not going to lie, handing her over to the Anesthesiologist was really hard. Really hard. I don't think either of us were prepared for the emotions that went along with that. But ever since, and still, I have just felt an overwhelming sense of peace. I know as more uncertainty comes that peace may be fleeting but I will hold on to this feeling as long as possible, knowing we are constantly being lifted up in prayer and no matter what adversity comes; we can handle it.

I is for Inspired. We have had so many things to be thankful for over the past few days. In a time where I thought it would be hard to offer thanks, I have found that thanks is never far from my lips. The staff here, the people around the country praying for us, pictures, everything makes me want to shout a big loud thank you. I can't stop. Tim was so thankful he hugged the surgeon. Not sure if you have ever met a brain surgeon, but on a list of attributes and qualities "huggable" isn't probably part of their top 5.  The witnesses we have seen from so many different avenues has been such an inspiration to us. You can't help but want to be better when you experience the beauty we have seen over the past few days.

C is for Comfort. Mercedes is comfortable. That is worth repeating, Mercedes is comfortable. She has had a couple of doses of morphine- one right out of surgery and then again on the PICU floor shortly after she arrived here. Other than that, she has only had tylenol. When I came in, after getting some comfortable rest myself last night, she was all smiles ready to eat and be a little sweetheart to her mom. She had a rough moment this morning, where her tylenol wore off a little early, but once she got her dose she was back to smiling, cooing and blowing bubbles. Seriously, can't beat that. Tim and I are also very comfortable. The PICU room is nice sized. We played some cribbage. We are able to get out and walk around if we need to. We have basically a hotel room here at the hospital. That was really nice to go and get some sleep and wake feeling refreshed and ready to tackle the day. Even if the day started at 4am. If you know me. You know that's saying something!

U is for Unicorn, because you should always be yourself. Unless you can be a unicorn. Then you should be a unicorn.


No comments:

Post a Comment